Our son is just over a week old and it is with great thanks to Theresa and the Natural Birthing Company that I can look back on his birth as the positive Hypnobirthing experience we had long hoped and planned for.
Me and my husband began our Hypnobirthing sessions with the Natural Birthing Company at around 25 into our pregnancy. The small group sessions allowed us to release our own individual concerns and fears and, with Theresa’s patient tuition, we learnt the techniques we would draw upon on our baby’s birthing day.
As first time parents we also found the baby moon practical parenting session particularly useful. Learning the basics like how to feed, change, bathe and hold your baby gave us a head start on the steep learning curve that is looking after a newborn.
With Hypnobirthing, the key to success is with plenty of practice and, with help from the Natural Birthing Company, we had the solid foundations to help us achieve a relaxed and positive birth.
Leonie Woodfield .
- I had always been very scared of labour…I am from Spain and my partner is French. In both countries
having the Epidural is common practice. I never considered anything else but
taking as many drugs as possible during labour. Natural birth… that was
unthinkable!!!On November the 6th our beautiful son was born. I
did not have any drugs and I have very good memories about labour.I have always been very logic and I never really believed in
the power of our minds. A friend of mine mentioned a hypnobirthing course and I
remember laughing about it. I could not believe that practising relaxation
techniques, a book and a CD could help me to go through labour. However my fear
was bigger than anything else so I decided to have a go at it and, I have to
admit, it was one of the best decisions I have made on my life.
I attended all the sessions with my partner and after four
sessions my approach to labour was completely different. I read the book and I tried
to listen to the CD every night. As my due date approached I felt ready and I
was determined not to have any drugs. I trusted my body and my mind was
I was sat down at the table ready for dinner on Monday the 5th
when I started to have some pain (which was very similar to period pain). I
knew I was in labour. I finished my dinner and I went to relax watching
television for a little while. Soon after that I went to bed. Yes, I went to
bed knowing I was having contractions!!! I put my Ipod on and I fell asleep
until the next contraction started. My partner timed the duration of each
contraction and the intervals of time between contractions. And that is how we
spent the night: Listening to the rainbow relaxation, sleeping and waking up
every time I had a contraction. . I knew that every contraction was bringing my
baby boy closer to me and that kept me focused. At 4.am I felt it was the time
to go to hospital. We arrived at 4:30 at the maternity ward. At 4:31 my waters
broke and at 5:10 Paolo was among us.
Thanks to Theresa and the course my approach to labour was
completely different. I was very positive, relaxed and ready for it.
Noelia & Xavier
- My husband and I got so much more from the babymoon than I expected. It’s so hard to find the time to just sit and take stock when you’re expecting your first baby. I was busy tying up loose ends at work before starting maternity leave, and we spent every evening and weekend sorting the nursery and shopping for bits and bobs for baby. We did do NCT classes, but again, it was a rush getting to them after work in the evening. The babymoon meant packing our bags and leaving everything behind for a weekend. I felt so much more relaxed just being away from everything, having time to sit and talk over a nice dinner (without having to do the washing up!), and being pampered – neither of us realised just how much we needed a break until we got there! As for the classes themselves, they were fantastic. Everything was very relaxed and there was only one other couple, so we felt like we could ask anything we wanted – however odd – without feeling stupid! It was basically a chance to pick the brains of two expert midwifes – at routine appointments with my own midwife there’s just never been time to do that. I found the practical parenting sessions particularly good – although we giggled most of the way through bathing and changing our ‘baby’ it was really useful to go through the basics, just to feel better prepared for the real thing. All the information on labour itself was invaluable – having gone through it and delivered baby Charlie since, I can say it certainly helped me, knowing the difference between pain relief options, and just understanding what was going on in my body. I arrived at the start of the weekend with a bit of ‘information overload’, having read so many different books and heard so many different opinions. But I left feeling like I was informed enough to make my own decisions, and as ready as I could be for labour and birth. http://blog.firstchoice.co.uk/the-babymoon-the-next-big-thing/
- I have always been fearful of giving birth to the point where before I got pregnant, I always thought I’d rather have a caesarian. However when I got pregnant with my first child, I started to think more deeply about this. The recovery time after a caesarian whilst trying to look after a baby suddenly didn’t seem so appealing. My next thought was birthing with the maximum amount of pain relief I could get! However something didn’t feel right to me personally about this and I was worried about the effects of some of the pain relief on baby. Whilst at a routine scan I saw a leaflet from the natural birthing company and it instinctively appealed to me, I went home and did some research. The whole idea that the concept of fear towards child birth makes you more tense and that this tension in your muscles makes child birth more difficult, made so much sense to me. I realied it was my fear of child birth that was the problem. I contacted the natural birthing compnay in the hope that they could help me with this fear. I have now completed the course and I can honestly say my fear of child birth has completely dissipated, in fact I’m very much looking forward to the whole birthing experience. The course helped me to relax during my pregnancy and i feel amazing after my partner and I have practiced the techniques we have learnt. The course was very informative and Theresa puts you at ease and makes you feel very welcome. I would recommend this course to anyone, it’s worth evry penny. Thank-You for all your help Theresa.
- Thanks so much for our lovely Babymoon experience. We enjoyed the whole weekend and it was very much appreciated to have your time, knowledge and empathy at our disposal for the whole duration!! As first time parents, we felt we had lots of ‘silly little questions’ to ask and yet you made us feel as though no question was too silly and to go right ahead and ask it! The facilities were wonderful and all of your props and equipment that you brought made for a very calming and very well thought out environment that made us feel welcome and relaxed. Thank you. We both came away from the Babymoon feeling even more excited about meeting and caring for our baby and we have you both to thank for that! Harry & Steve, Bedford
- After meeting Jayne and Theresa at a Mothercare event I dragged my husband along for a taster event and as a result we signed up for hypnobirthing and then a practical parenting course.The skills learnt and the advice given to us during the both courses helped us to feel more prepared and confident for the birth of baby Jack. I would highly recommend both courses to anyone expecting a bundle of joy. We found that Hypnobirthing was key in keeping me calm during labour and stopped my husband feeling like a spare part in the delivery room by giving him a key role involving back massage and reciting set scripts to aid relaxation. The courses are held in a calm, peaceful and welcoming environment with small classes and homemade cake to give that personal touch! C
Charlotte Flint Derby
- I wanted to share a brief testimony with you regarding our experience of Mongan Method Hypnobirthing with Theresa.We got in touch at around the 34 week mark of my second pregnancy. It took this long for me to realise just how nervous I was second time around and that after some homework, Hypnobirthing might help to alleviate some of the deep rooted fears we had as a result of the birth of our daughter 2 and a half years ago. My first labour was long and tiring. I reached fully dilated after many hours and was encouraged to start pushing, even though I had no urge to. After 4 hours of pushing and getting nowhere, it was decided that things needed augmenting & I was given syntocinon and sent through to theatre in a hurry where they attempted forceps and finally had to perform an emergency C-section. So many things went wrong (of which I wont burden you with – as that is not the point) however, needless to say, me, my husband and our daughter were all significantly traumatised my the experience. I spent a good year having flashbacks and crying. I felt so cheated out of a natural birth and felt like a failure. I suffered depression (hardly surprising) and found it very difficult to cope with my baby daughter who was extremely fussy and regularly poorly.We always knew we’d have another baby and I didn’t want to let what had happened before stop us. As my consultant aptly put it – ‘for some women, it’s like an itch they have to scratch’ – and he was right. I HAD to have a natural birth. I knew I could do it – it’s what my body was designed for after all. I wanted to experience that right of passage as a woman and know what it was like to give birth to my baby.After speaking to a friend (a midwife) she thought HypnoBirthing using the Mongan Method would really help. So I did some research and luckily found The Natural Birthing Company who were local and had a course starting the following week. After the first phone call with Theresa, I instantly felt at ease and knew this was the right thing to do. The course was excellent; relaxing and informative. It empowered us both and every week we walked away feeling like our natural birth was inevitable. The day before my due date my contractions (surges) began gently & gradually mid morning – by late afternoon we packed our little girl off to Granny’s. By 7pm we’d had some dinner and watched our favourite comedy DVD (all the while having very intense contractions – sat on a birth ball) – using the breathing and relaxation techniques, it was all totally bearable. By about 8pm I wanted to get in the bath and carried on with the relaxation and breathing. I could feel the intensity increasing, but the ‘surge breathing’ actually felt good.My husband was timing the surges and they quickly went from 5 to 4 to 3 to 2 to 1 minute apart and we’re lasting 2-3 mins. As we decided to get ready to go the labour suite, my waters broke and it was a whole new ball game.The pressure and intensity increased and I instantly felt ‘pushy’ – every contraction felt like progress. I could ‘see’ & feel my baby moving further and further down. It was incredible. We were going nowhere and I asked my husband to call for an ambulance. The paramedics arrived followed by a midwife and after a little while (and I’ll admit – some gas and air) our baby boy emerged on my own bed!! I never had to forcefully push…my body did all the work and I just followed its lead. It was the most incredible experience of my life. I can’t say it didn’t ‘hurt’, but I wouldn’t describe it as ‘pain’ either. It was powerful and intense and certainly made me ‘moo’, but it wasn’t frightening at any point – even considering the fact that he arrived quickly at home and I was classed as ‘high risk’ having had a C-Section before. So a natural intervention and drug free VBAC homebirth IS possible!!! I did it! I get such a buzz from thinking about what happened. It was totally incredible. I’m so proud of what we achieved – me, my husband and our baby. He is such a calm and easy going baby. He cries to be fed and that is it. I am convinced that Hypnobirthing helped us have the birth we wanted. I would recommend it to everyone.
Thank you so much Theresa and Marie Mongan.
Lots of love, Fiona, Ben & baby Oscar x X x X x Fiona – Papplewick
- I have just completed a five week HypnoBirthing course and I enjoyed every aspect of it. I feel more confident about what will be my second birth and it has opened my eyes to how easy it should and can be. I discovered our baby was breeched before my last class and Theresa and I managed to turn our baby with a single hypnosis session. This I find amazing and can’t believe how easy it was! Thank you Theresa for your help and support I’m looking forward to a relaxed and natural birth.
Jenny has since had a baby boy in the pool with NO pain relief!!
Jenny – Newark
- I’d just like to say a huge thank you to Theresa and Liz the reflexologist for helping my baby to decide to make an appearance. From the moment I walked into the natural birthing company building, they put me at easeand helped me to relax. My first baby was 13 days late and I reallydidn’t want that again. The reflexology was wonderful and Theresa was so supportive, offering homeopathic remedies and other ideas to try to help bring on my labour. I especially appreciated her lovely text message over the weekend and my gorgeous baby girl arrived safely only 8 days late. I would recommend the NBC to anyone wishing for a healthy, relaxed, natural birth, I wish there were more midwives like you!
Maria – Beeston
- I just want to say a huge thankyou to Theresa Mounsey for today … I have had a needle phobia as far back as I can remember,causing me to have panic attacks, from the day I discovered I waspregnant I have been so stressed and feeling guilty as I physically couldn’t have my blood tests done! So … at 34 weeks pregnant (betterlate than never) Theresa offered to do my bloods for me using the HypnoBirthing methods and it worked! I was aware of everything that was going on around me but I felt so calm and relaxed that I just let it happen. I still can’t believe I’ve had them done, I feel very happy like a huge weight has been lifted from me and I feel confident knowing that I would be able to do it again if the time came! I would recommend HypnoBirthing to any pregnant lady and I’m now even more excited about attending the rest of my HypnoBirthing classes and the birth experience when the time comes for my baby to arrive because for me it really works!
Lexy – Farnsfield
Beautiful location, felt like I was at Center Parcs everytime I attended a class. So peaceful and serene. I would really recommend these classes to anyone! I learnt so so much.
Julia - Mansfield
My first birth was very traumatic, thanks to the team for the support and encouragement with this pregnancy. HypnoBirthing gave me the courage and strength to believe in myself! I had a normal delivery after a previous section I now have a bouncing baby boy!!
Lisa Stone – Nottingham
Everyone was so friendly, plus they really put my mind at rest and taught me some great relaxation techniques.
Emma – Nottingham